It’s a great place to live or visit with your pet (especially your dog!)
Oakland Town Dog Park
27 Oakland Rosedale Road, Oakland, MD 21550
McHenry Community Park (operated by the Deep Creek Lake Lions Club)
1249 Bumble Bee Rd Accident MD 21520
Pick up your dog waste!
County and Municipal areas
- 7 of the 8 incorporated municipalities have some form of walking path suitable for short walks (Accident, Friendsville, Grantsville, Kitzmiller, Loch Lynn, Mountain Lake Park and Oakland)
- County-owned recreational properties: Fork Run, McHenry Community Park and Casselman Soccer Fields
- Leashed, licensed and vaccinated dogs are not prohibited in any of these areas, to the best of my knowledge
- Use your best judgement and check before you go if possible
- Garrett County Animal Control Ordinance: https://www.garrettcounty.org/animal-shelter/animal-control-ordinance
- Big Run – camping
- Casselman River – not much for dogs
- Deep Creek Lake – camping, trails, swimming
- Herrington Manor – camping, trails, swimming
- New Germany – camping, trails, swimming
- Sang Run – trail
- Swallow Falls – trails, camping
- Wolf Den Run – camping, trails
Other State Land
- Savage River SF – Trails and camping throughout
- Potomac-Garrett SF – Trails and camping throughout
- Mt Nebo WMA trail
- Youghigheny NEA trail
State Park Pet Rules
- All pets must be licensed and have all required vaccinations, including a rabies vaccination.
- Pets must be leashed. Pets may be off-leash and under voice control while swimming in designated areas or hunting (with the appropriate permit).
- Pet owners must clean up after their pet. Waste disposal containers are available in most areas.
- Service animals are permitted in all pedestrian areas.
- Pets, with the exception of service animals, are not allowed in park buildings or playgrounds.
- Pet owners must obey all park signs that prohibit the entry of pets into specific areas.
- Excessive barking is not permitted in any park area, especially during campground “quiet hours” (10:00 p.m.- 7:00 a.m.).
Federal recreation areas
- Jennings Randolph Lake
- MD side: boat ramp, shoreline fishing access and trail
- WV side: swimming beach and campground
- •Youghiogheny River Lake
- Both MD and PA sides have campgrounds and boat launches
- •I have only been able to find rules related to pets in the camping areas (allowed on leash) but nothing about pets in the other areas – use your best judgement
- Deep Creek, Herrington Manor and New Germany Lakes (with the limitations per the table above
- Yough River and Jennings Randolph Lakes – not explicitly prohibited that I can find
- Yough, Potomac and Savage Rivers – there are some level sandy public access areas on these rivers, but I’d be reluctant to let my dog swim in them
- NO Swimming for dogs: Broadford Lake and probably Savage River Reservoir (humans are not allowed to swim there)
Good trails for dogs
- I like low traffic, wide straight (good visibility) trails when hiking with my dog:
- Mt Nebo
- Negro Mt
- Asa Durst
- Wallman and Laurel Run areas
- Also, trails that follow a stream or river can be nice
- Poplar Lick and Monroe Run trails
- Kendall trail
- Casselman Veterinary Services
- 377 Hemlock Dr, Grantsville, MD 21536
- Bredel Veterinary Clinic
- 1265 Bumble Bee Rd, Accident, MD 21520
- Countryside Animal Hospital
- 50 Weber Rd, Oakland, MD 21550
- Pineview Veterinary Hospital
- 85 Pineview Dr, Oakland, MD 21550
- The closest 24-hr emergency vet I am aware of is:
- Cheat Lake Animal Hospital